Thursday, October 15, 2009

Etsy Seller Feature Able Mabel

This weeks Etsy Seller Feature is on Etsy shop "Able Mabel" run by Jen and Leann, two crafty sisters from Western Colorado. Abel Mabel sell all kinds of household items such as aprons, coasters, light switch covers and baby items which as they like to put it "find the fun in functional".
" As artists, we are inspiried by everyday things around us...family, nature, colors, emotions, moods, etc. Give us a fun piece of fabric, paper or beads and it's off to the races! We love finding the "unusual" and making it into something functional!"

Here are a few questions I asked Leann who runs the business side of the shop:

You're very creative it seems like you do a litle bit of everything! Have you always been crafty?
I haven't always been crafty. In fact for many years I avoided anything crafty. I thought I could never do it, I didn't have the patience, etc.
What is your favorite craft?
I alternate between sewing and paper crafts as my favorites.

How did you first learn your crafts?
Trial and error. I experimented with various methods until I found just the right way to do it.

Do you have a favorite item in your Etsy Shop right now?
Probably this patchwork blanket. I had so much fun putting it together. The pattern was something that was totally random. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28289122

Do you do your craft full-time?
Technically, no. But I do something with it most days, even if it's just computer work. I don't necessarially create new product everyday.

Where do you find inspiration for your products?
Everywhere and anywhere. Fabrics, papers, color schemes, etc.

What do you love about your business?
The flexibility of it. The ability to use it as an "excuse" to create.

What makes you unique at Etsy?
I try to "find the fun in function".

Do you have any crafting tips to share?
Do what you love, love what you do. Push yourself to try new mediums, techniques. You never know what you might discover.

Do you have any small business tips to share?
Stay organized, even if you detest that part of the business.

Do you have any tips to share for anyone who is thinking about setting up an Etsy shop?
Keep at it. Don't give up even if the sales aren't rolling in. Take the best photographs you possibly can and then take better ones. Promote off Etsy if possible. Only invest as much money into your business as you can afford to lose.

Abel Mabel can be found at the below places:
Etsy: http://www.ablemabel.etsy.com
Blog: http://mabelisable.blogspot.com
Artfire: http://ablemabel.artfire.com


Dreams Single Light Switch Cover

Magenta Stripes Lovie with Minky for Baby Girls

Large Blooms Full Apron

Un-noticed Housework Sign

Throw Pillow

No comments:

Post a Comment