Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Etsy Seller Feature Kitchen Stitchen

Today's Etsy Seller Feature is on Kristi Wyckoff of Kitchen Stitchen. Kristi is based in Grayslake, IL and has a line of "kitchen linens and accessories for the discriminating and fashion conscious cook".
Kristi created Kitchen Stichen after she noticed that there was a derth of kitchen items that were both fasionable and functional (her creations are right up my alley!). There aren't too many stores that specialize soleley in kitchen linens and Kristi's pocket potholders are pretty unique!




Apple Patch Placemats

Kristi describes herself as having always been around needle and thread, patterns and pins. A stay-at-home mom of a 5 yr old girl and an 4 yr old boy she also teaches dance classes while the kids are at pre-school and tries to fit her sewing in whenever she can.



Golden Stories - Set of 2 Children's Fabric Napkins

She loves to be in the kitchen baking and cooking, but don't do as much as she'd like "because of all the clean up".
Fresh Squeezed Pocket Potholder

Kristi's favorite item in her Etsy shop is the pocket potholder which is a cross between a potholder and and oven mitt. The pocket potholder does the job of both without the slipperyness of a potholder or the bulkyness of an overmitt. They're just so convenient and functional.
Apples and Pears Casserole Carrier

Here are a couple questions I asked Kristi:

Where do you find your inspiration?
I find inspiration everywhere, but mostly in the fabric designs. It is fun to sit down and look through fabrics and combinations when it is time to buy. But really the designs come from anywhere. I saw a pillow style I liked and have it down in my mental notebook to try out a similar design at a placemat soon.

What do yo love about your Etsy business?
I love that I get to sew, that I get to create items for other people to use and love and that I can put my own personality into everything I make.
Mod Birds Linen Apron

Kristi's Tips for Etsy Sellers:

I would say to start with a real plan. I have another shop which was my first. I didn't do research into what I was making and as it turns out, the market was saturated for bags! I also didn't realize that I'd get bored and frustrated making bags. They are a lot of work with little return. Also, find a niche. Whether a type of item or a type of style that is unique to you, you should distinguish yourself from others on Etsy.
Striped Cherries Tea Towel

Kristi can be found at the below:

Etsy - kitchenstitchen.etsy.com and sunnykristi.etsy.com
Facebook - 
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Kitchen-Stitchen/60631170732?sid=227cac59e641164f77651f58c943c5fe&ref=search
Twitter - kristiwyckoff

Kristi loves to make custom items, as she finds it so much more enjoyable to make something knowing it is specifically for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment