Thursday, July 9, 2009

Etsy Seller Feature Owl Eye Designs

Today's Etsy Seller Feature is on Katherine Dever from Owl Eye Designs. Katherine is located in Clarkston, Michigan, but is currently spending the summer in Connecticut until she starts back at school in the fall. Katherine makes adorable notebooks, journals and cards.
Grizzly Note Card

Katherine believes in clean lines and simplicity of design and gets her inspiration from many sources - literary themes to nature to cultural myths/legends.

"I find a lot of my inspiration right now from nature. I love plants and animals. But I also really love retro/mod/vintage stuff and try to mix the two together. Of course, books really inspire me. I'm a bibliophile for sure. If I could just split my time between reading and creating art, I would."
Inquisitive Owl Note Card Set

 How did you first decide to make journals did you keep one as a child?

I've always loved books and journals. I've kept journals throughout my life but not regularly. I decided to make journals for Etsy after I took a book arts class at my college. I really love how process oriented book making is and how intricate. Books and journals are incredibly integral to my life.
The Kraken Sleeps Journal

Do you have a favorite item?

I have to say that my favorite item is the California Poppies Journal. California poppies are my favorite flower and this journal design really got me inspired to make the other journals I currently have available. In fact, one of my friends asked me recently if she could get a tattoo of the design - of course I said yes!


6. If you also have a "real" job, what do you do?
I'm working as a nanny and also at an art gallery. It's really great!
Trees Note Card

8.What do you love about your business?

Right now I have been working on connecting with more people all over the internet. I really love getting feedback on my work and also meeting people who are in the same position I am - trying to do what they love and have a lot of passion for what they do. I'm getting a little obsessed with marketing and advertising, but it's so fun!


What makes you unique at Etsy?

I've looked at a lot, I mean A LOT, of other Etsians who also make journals, but I feel that my journals are truly unique in that they have one of a kind, simple drawings on them. So many of the journals I have seen are beautiful, but they don't feature a drawing. I think my journals express a lot without being in your face. They're a little understated maybe, but I like them that way.
Song Bird Painting

Do you have any tips to share for crafters just starting out?

I know I'm not "just starting out" anymore, but from everything I have read I would say the best advice is to (a) love what you're making and that will show in your work; (b) network like crazy on all the different website/blogs/etc. sites out there; and (c) don't give up.

Extra Info:

"I love to do custom requests! I actually just finished the biggest painting I have ever done (48 x 60 inches) that my neighbors asked me to do and it turned out really well. I love the fact that I'm making something tailored to a specific person's wants and still getting to infuse the work with myself. It's a really good feeling."

Katherine can be found at the below:

(etsy) www.owleyedesigns.etsy.com
(twitter) www.twitter.com/owleyedesigns
(blog) www.owleyedesigns.blogspot.com
(website) www.owleyedesigns.com
(facebook) SEARCH "Owl Eye Designs"

1 comment:

  1. I am the neighbor who commisioned Ms. Dever to create the large painting. We have already received so many wonderful comments about this amazing piece of art. Everyone who walks into the room has commented positively on the painting. (even the Comcast Cable guy!!!) Katherine did a wonderful job and she was incredible to work with. Our family has something that we will treasure for a long, long time. I highly recommend her services to any art lover. Thank you Katie!

    ReplyDelete