Sunday, September 13, 2009

Etsy Seller Feature Squid Art

This weeks Etsy seller feature is on photographer Katie from Squid Art. Katie lives in Melbourne, Florida and named her Etsy shop after her adorable and hyper Jack Russell terrier. Katie first got interested in photography after taking a few photography classes in high school where she fell in love with the dark room process, and describes photography as her other half.
She spends her days "in a middle school classroom trying to teach a bunch of hooligans some English" and takes pictures in her spare time.


 
 

Katie : "Whenever I can, I dive head first into a new design project. I’m not happy unless my walls are covered with art and my camera is full of pictures."
 
 
 
For any amateur photogs Katie  has tons of  photography  tips on her blog http://squidart.wordpress.com  where she posts tutorials about  photoshop and photography styles, such as bokeh and ttv. 

 


Do you have a favorite photo?
A favorite photo? That is a hard one. Right now, I think it is my 
 " Some Things Last Forever Print " .
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28231459 
I stumbled across this tree in the mountains when we were on vacation this summer. It reminds me of that feeling when you want to tell the whole world that you love somebody. It makes me happy.


Where do you find inspiration for your photos? 
I wish that I had a better answer for this, but it really is just anywhere. Something, and it can be ANYTHING, sparks an idea, and I just go with it.


What do you love about your business? 
I love that I can take it in any direction that I want. All I have to do is imagine something, and if I work hard enough, I can take my business in that direction. Etsy gives us all a chance to share our art with other people. I don
 ' t have to be a famous photographer or in a gallery to let people all over the world see my photos. I love that!


What makes you unique at Etsy? 
I hope that my pictures can answer this question for themselves. 
 W hat you see in my shop is not in every other shop, and I hope that my pictures bring you some kind of happiness and serenity when you see them.


Do you have any tips to share for anyone who is thinking about setting up an Etsy shop?
Do a lot of research before you start! There is SO much information in the forums. Start reading and start making lists. Ask questions. Etsy is a strong community of people going through the same thing that you are. Know that it will take a lot of your time, and you probably 
 won' t make much money. But also remember how much you love to do your craft and how cool it is to see your work in your own online store and in other people ' s homes.


Squid Art can be found at the below: 

Etsy: http://squidart.etsy.com
Blog: http://squidart.wordpress.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment